- If restrooms are available to the public, is at least one restroom (either one for each sex, or unisex) fully-accessible?
- Are there signs at inaccessible restrooms that give directions to accessible ones?
- Is there tactile signage identifying restrooms?
- Are pictograms or symbols used to identify restrooms and, if used, are raised characters and Braille included below the symbols?
- Is the doorway at least 32 inches clear?
- Are doors equipped with accessible handles (operable with a closed fist) 48 inches high or less?
- Can doors be opened easily (five pounds maximum force)?
- Does the entry configuration provide adequate maneuvering space for a person using a wheelchair? (Note: A person using a wheelchair needs 36 inches of clear width for forward movement, and a 5-foot diameter clear space or a T-shaped space to make turns. A minimum distance of 48 inches clear of the door swing is needed between the two doors of an entry vestibule.)
- Is there a 36-inch wide path to all fixtures?
- Is the stall door operable with a closed fist, inside and out?
- Is there a wheelchair-accessible stall that has an area of at least 5 foot by 5 foot, clear of the door swing, or is there a stall that is less accessible but that provides greater access than a typical stall (either 36 by 69 inches or 48 by 69 inches)?
- In the accessible stall, are there grab bars behind and on the sidewall nearest to the toilet?
- Is the toilet seat 17 to 19 inches high?
- Does one lavatory have a 30 inch wide by 48 inch deep clear space in front? (Note: A maximum of 19 inches of the required depth may be under the lavatory.)
- Is the lavatory rim no higher than 34 inches?
- Is there at least 29 inches from the floor to the bottom of the lavatory apron (excluding pipes)?
- Can the faucet be operated with one closed fist?
- Are soap dispensers, other dispensers, and hand dryers within reach ranges and usable with one closed fist? (Note: For reach ranges, the maximum height for a side reach is 54", for a forward reach is 48". The minimum reachable height is 15 inches for front approach and 9 inches for a side approach.)
- Is the mirror mounted with the bottom edge of the reflecting surface 40 inches high or lower?
For additional information regarding these guidelines, please contact the Building Inspections Department at (918) 358-3506.